I would like to work for Eerdmans Publishing. Are you hiring?
Yes! We're currently looking to fill two positions:
- Publicity Manager
- Bookstore Manager
Eerdmans Publishing, an independent, family-owned publisher, is seeking to hire a full-time Publicity Manager with at least three years of relevant experience publicizing or marketing booksideally within the religious trade or academic markets.
The Publicity Manager will be responsible for cultivating media relationships and securing media exposure for Eerdmans books and authors, and will help maintain a positive public image for the press. She or he reports to the Director of Marketing and will plan and execute publicity campaigns for each of Eerdmans's 100+ adult and children's titles per year. The Publicity Manager will play the leading role in the writing and dissemination of pitches, press kits, and press releases. She or he is also responsible for supervising the Publicity Coordinator in the management of review copy lists, review copy requests, database maintenance, and the monitoring, processing, and dissemination of publicity clippings.
- Creates and executes effective publicity plans
- Cultivates relationships with media contacts at print, broadcast, and online outlets
- Serves as point of contact for authors on publicity process
- Serves as point of contact with outside publicity agencies
- Creates and sends pitches, press kits, and press releases
- Pitches and helps coordinate author events and interviews
- Supervises the Publicity Coordinator role
- B.A. in communications, journalism, English, marketing, or related field
- Three to six years of relevant experience in book marketing or publicity
- Superior news judgment and knowledge of religious and book media landscape (prior relationships preferred)
- Strong writer capable of crafting compelling pitches
- Highly organized and able to follow through on initiatives independently
- Disciplined yet flexibleable to transition quickly between projects and juggle shifting priorities
Eerdmans Bookstore, located in the Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. building in Grand Rapids, MI, is currently seeking a full-time Bookstore Manager. The Bookstore Manager is responsible for daily operations associated with the Eerdmans Bookstore, including, but not limited to, greeting and assisting customers, maintaining inventory of books and merchandise, supervising bookstore staff, and creating and executing promotional plans.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage inventory, including purchasing and returns
- Assist customers, both in person and on the phone
- Receive, price, and merchandise all products
- Plan and organize author events
- Seek out potential bookselling opportunities at area church and denominational events
- Maintain sales records and create sales and operational reports
- Train and manage store personnel, and coordinate personnel schedule
- Plan and execute promotions including email campaigns, special sales, and seasonal displays
- Manage the Eerdmans Bookstore social media accounts
- Create and send email newsletters
- Maintain store supplies
- 3-5 years bookstore management experience
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in business administration or a related field)
- Knowledge of Eerdmans titles and similar titles from other religious publishers, especially in the areas of theology, biblical studies, and ministry
- Computer skills: MS Dynamics, Word, Excel, Outlook, Constant Contact or MailChimp, Facebook, Twitter
- Strong organizational, time management, problem-solving, and people skills
This is a full-time, in-house position at our office in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Regular bookstore hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., and Saturday (between Labor Day and Memorial Day only) 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.; occasional evening or weekend hours may also be required for special events. The successful candidate can expect a competitive salary and benefits, including medical/dental insurance, 401K, and paid time off. To apply, email cover letter and resume to Ingrid Wolf (email@example.com).
* * *
Do you use freelance editors? If so, how can I get on this list?
We routinely use freelance help and from time to time need to add new talent to our pool. If you would like to work with us (and our wonderful authors!), please send your resume or CV and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org highlighting your interests and relevant training, knowledge, and experience. We work with freelance editors, proofreaders, and indexers, and we are especially interested in freelancers who can read and edit biblical languages.