I would like to work for Eerdmans Publishing. Are you hiring?
Yes! We are currently hiring a Managing Editor
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing is currently accepting applications for a full-time managing editor. The managing editor will:
- Oversee workflow for around 100 manuscripts per year from handoff by acquisitions editors to creation of publication-ready files.
- Supervise the work of about a half-dozen project editors.
- Collaborate with the executive editor and the editor-in-chief to create and close each season's list.
- Create, or supervise the creation of, a schedule and a budget for each work in progress and confer regularly with project editors to monitor progress toward milestones and deadlines.
- Maintain records of elements, costs, and schedules of all projects and provide timely and accurate reporting on all project-related information.
- Maintain data integrity within a title management system and supervise the maintenance of title information by project editors.
- Establish editing standards and procedures and maintain documents describing house style.
- Personally oversee pre-press work on about ten books per year.
Minimum requirements for this position include a bachelor's degree; five to seven years of experience in pre-press editorial work and project management, including supervision of staff; thorough working knowledge of The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th ed.; excellent proficiency in English grammar, orthography, and style and in the use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and additional project-management and title-management software; outstanding efficiency in meeting deadlines while managing multiple projects concurrently; self-awareness, tact, and generosity in interactions with colleagues and authors; proven leadership skills; and informed and sympathetic interest in the subject areas in which Eerdmans publishes.
The ideal candidate would in addition have substantial training or certification in project management; a master's degree in biblical or theological studies; and solid working knowledge of The SBL Handbook of Style, 2nd ed.
This is a full-time, in-house, exempt position located at our Grand Rapids, Michigan, offices. Travel is not required. The successful candidate can expect a competitive salary and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, 401K, and paid time off. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send a letter of application and a resume or curriculum vitae to MEsearch@eerdmans.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Do you use freelance editors? If so, how can I get on this list?
We routinely use freelance help and from time to time need to add new talent to our pool. If you would like to work with us (and our wonderful authors!), please send your resume or CV and a cover letter to email@example.com highlighting your interests and relevant training, knowledge, and experience. We work with freelance editors, proofreaders, and indexers, and we are especially interested in freelancers who can read and edit biblical languages.