Do you use freelance editors? If so, how can I get on the list?
Unlike many publishers, we meet most of our editorial and proofreading needs in-house. When we do need to use freelance editorial help, we turn to a list of people who have worked for us for some time. Only rarely do we need to add someone new to the list.
We would, however, be glad to see your resume. You may send it to our regular address:
Attn: Editorial Department
Eerdmans Publishing Co.
2140 Oak Industrial Dr. NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
I would like to work for Eerdmans Publishing. Are you hiring?
Yes! We are currently looking to fill the following position:
Eerdmans Publishing Company is seeking a full-time staff proofreader to work on site at our Grand Rapids, Michigan, offices. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Reporting to the Associate Managing Editor, the Proofreader will
- Line-check proofs as assigned
- Proofread proofs according to Eerdmans house style
- Assist with reprint corrections
- Give the Managing Editor and Associate Managing Editor a weekly status report on all projects
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in English or a field directly related to the Eerdmans publishing program (such as religion or Bible studies); basic knowledge of the Bible
- Excellent knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation; familiarity with CMoS a plus
- Familiar and comfortable with using Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of New Testament Greek and/or biblical Hebrew a plus
- Prior proofreading experience a plus
- Exceptionally detail-oriented, highly organized
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, self-motivated
- Good communications skills, ability to work well with others
- Flexibility, ability to exercise sound judgment
About Our Company:
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, located in Grand Rapids, Michigan, is an independent, family-owned company that has been in business since 1911. Eerdmans publishes critically acclaimed and award-winning books for adults, young adults, and children. In the adult program, we publish approximately 120 new books each year, primarily nonfiction, ranging from academic works on biblical studies, theology, and religious history to more popular titles on spirituality, social and cultural criticism, and biography. In addition, our children’s imprint, Eerdmans Books for Young Readers, publishes picture books and novels for children and young adults.
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. To apply, send letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line Proofreader. No telephone calls.