I would like to work for Eerdmans Publishing. Are you hiring?
Yes! We're currently looking to fill two positions:
- Bookstore Manager
- Production Editor
Eerdmans Bookstore, located in the Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. building in Grand Rapids, MI, is currently seeking a full-time Bookstore Manager. The Bookstore Manager is responsible for daily operations associated with the Eerdmans Bookstore, including, but not limited to, greeting and assisting customers, maintaining inventory of books and merchandise, supervising bookstore staff, and creating and executing promotional plans.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage inventory, including purchasing and returns
- Assist customers, both in person and on the phone
- Receive, price, and merchandise all products
- Plan and organize author events
- Seek out potential bookselling opportunities at area church and denominational events
- Maintain sales records and create sales and operational reports
- Train and manage store personnel, and coordinate personnel schedule
- Plan and execute promotions including email campaigns, special sales, and seasonal displays
- Manage the Eerdmans Bookstore social media accounts
- Create and send email newsletters
- Maintain store supplies
- 3-5 years bookstore management experience
- Bachelor's degree (preferably in business administration or a related field)
- Knowledge of Eerdmans titles and similar titles from other religious publishers, especially in the areas of theology, biblical studies, and ministry
- Computer skills: MS Dynamics, Word, Excel, Outlook, Constant Contact or MailChimp, Facebook, Twitter
- Strong organizational, time management, problem-solving, and people skills
This is a full-time, in-house position at our office in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Regular bookstore hours are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., and Saturday (between Labor Day and Memorial Day only) 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.; occasional evening or weekend hours may also be required for special events. The successful candidate can expect a competitive salary and benefits, including medical/dental insurance, 401K, and paid time off. To apply, email cover letter and resume to Ingrid Wolf (email@example.com).
Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company is seeking applications for a Production Editor. The Production Editor handles multiple book projects from edited manuscript to preparation of printer-ready files. The Production Editor works closely with other members of the production department as well as with members of the editorial, sales, and marketing departments to ensure that book projects are completed on time, within budget, and with high standards of accuracy and quality. This position requires a high level of independence, innovation, creativity, and flexibility.
- Evaluate manuscripts for structure and presentation in print and electronic formats
- Prepare manuscripts for editing by applying logical styling scheme
- Prepare edited manuscripts for design and typesetting
- Produce moderate to complex book projects through all stages of production with Adobe InDesign
- Communicate and collaborate with Managing Editor and members of editorial, marketing, and design departments to maintain schedules and to resolve issues as they arise
- Strong proficiency with Adobe InDesign, especially with structured book-length documents
- Strong proficiency with grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Chicago Manual of Style
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
- 4-year college degree
- Experience in academic religious publishing
- Knowledge of typography, graphic design, book manufacturing, printing, and production
- Working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator and other graphic design applications
- Experience with markup languages: InDesign Markup Language, HTML, XML, CSS
This is a full-time, in-house, exempt position located at our Grand Rapids, Michigan, offices. Travel is not required. The successful candidate can expect a competitive salary and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, 401(k), and paid time off. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To apply, send a letter of application and a resume or curriculum vitae to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Production Editor." Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
* * *
Do you use freelance editors? If so, how can I get on this list?
We routinely use freelance help and from time to time need to add new talent to our pool. If you would like to work with us (and our wonderful authors!), please send your resume or CV and a cover letter to email@example.com highlighting your interests and relevant training, knowledge, and experience. We work with freelance editors, proofreaders, and indexers, and we are especially interested in freelancers who can read and edit biblical languages.