This innovative book by Steven Chase blends theological, scriptural, historical, and cultural discussions to reclaim the role of nature in the formation of Christian spiritual and moral identity. Nature as Spiritual Practice
(along with its accompanying Field Guide
- Encourages Christians to read the Bible, pray, and worship outdoors.
- Highlights the power of nature to soothe and heal the soul.
- Advocates "befriending" God's creation as a crucial element in Christian growth.
- Shows how the Bible is full of natural images -- and how nature itself can function as a holy text.
- Offers stories, anecdotes, ancient wisdom, modern science, scriptural tie-ins, practical advice, discussion questions, and contemplative exercises to help readers better experience God in nature.
Read two guest blog posts (click for part one
and part two
) by Chase on the subject on EerdWord.
— Saint Louis University
"A wonderful mix of insights from classical spiritual teachers and nature writers, woven into a series of contemplative and active practices that echo the work of Joanna Macy and Bill Plotkin. Full of riches both thoughtful and practical!"
"A thoughtful treatise on the role of nature and spirituality."